Academic Dishonesty:  “Plagiarism” is submitting work in a course which is not your own work.  DO NOT RISK IT! Please refer to the University of Northern British Columbia’s Code of Academic Honesty for further information. When in doubt about any practice, ask me! 

Complaints: Complaint by a student should be communicated to the Instructor in person during office hours or in writing. If this cannot be done, either party should agree to go to the Department Chair (who will ask for the complaint to be in writing).

Life Happens’ clause: Sometimes things in life happen when we least expect them. While I expect students to make every effort to take required exams and make course presentations as scheduled, if you are unable to meet a deadline or show up for a class assignment, you can invoke the ‘Life Happens’ clause once per term, by contacting me prior to class.

This is a safe (and educational) space: This class will present many different topics, some of them sensitive or discomforting and many contradictory; it is designed to develop critical thinking and develop mutual respect. Students should listen respectfully to different perspectives, let people finish sentences before responding, and do not diminish perspectives of others. No topic is unacceptable and no question will be deemed offensive. You are here to learn and I am here to provide you with as many perspectives out there as possible.

You can expect me to: be respectful, on time, prepared for class and available during office hours.  I will return assignments within a reasonable time period and answer your e-mails within 24-48 hours.

You are expected to:

• be respectful, on time,  and do not play on your phone or computer
  • be prepared for class by doing the required readings prior to class Simple: if you don’t do the readings, don’t bother coming, you will not understand the material discussed.
  • Speak up and ask questions in class – I welcome a challenge but please do not be disruptive or disrespectful
  • Keeping track of due dates, lecture notes, and readings.
  • Submit assignment on their due dates. Any late assignments will be deducted 1 mark of the total per day for up to one week.
  • Give me prior notice of important events/conditions (e.g. disabilities, medical conditions, special needs, child care) in your life that may influence your performance in the class.  Note: Once assignments are turned in, my ability to assist you is extremely limited.

I teach based on my 4 Rs: respect, reconciliation, reciprocity, and responsibility. Respecting themselves and other and with the idea that everyone participates in the process of reconciliation, I expect my students to be responsible for course expectations, and engage in reciprocal learning of the material. Refer to me appropriately (as “Professor” or “Dr. Mainville”) and e-mail me in a professional manner, and I will attempt by best to learn your name and be respectful with you too.

Need additional help?  The Access Resource Centre (ARC) provides service to students with documented disabilities or health conditions, ranging from permanent to temporary, including but not limited to chronic health issues, hearing and visual impairments, learning disabilities and attention deficit/hyperactivity disorders, mental health and neurological disabilities, and mobility and other physical disabilities. ARC staff are available by appointment to assess specific needs, provide referrals, and arrange appropriate academic accommodations to assist students in achieving their academic goals. Students who may have a need for academic accommodation are encouraged to contact ARC by email at arc@unbc.ca, by phone at 250-960-5682 (toll free 1-888-960-5682), or in person at 5- 157. For more information, please visit the Access Resource Centre website.

Need academic support? The Academic Success Centre has services available through one-to-one tutoring in room 10-2584, second floor of the Teaching and Learning Building. Drop-in writing support is available on the first floor of the Library. In addition, online support, including online writing tutoring, is available through our website at www.unbc.ca/asc. All services are free to UNBC students!